Friday, August 6, 2010

Into the Crater of Mt. Saint Helens....

Hi All,
I had the privilege of getting a very rare pass to enter the crater of Mt. Saint Helen's in July. I went with a small group of people that included a Geologist and a Botanist. The round trip was about 10 miles and we did it in one day. The weather was perfect. We were able to make it to a glacier in the crater. It is to unsafe to go much further without special gear. The red line on the map is the path my gps reported as we walked. It was amazing to stand there and look out from the breach of the eruption, I could not get over the amount of earth that was ejected. We passed some of the monitoring equipment that is in use today. The board sticking out of the guys pack below was our makeshift bridge to get across some of the streams of snow melt. Enjoy the shots....


Posted by Picasa

No comments: